Tuesday, February 17, 2009

and today I said yes

Have I mentioned that one of my [persistent] children asks at every opportunity if I can take him to the Lego Store?  “Every opportunity” means like every time we are in the same room, doesn’t matter if he just asked me the same question 3 minutes earlier.  The persistence sounds something like this:

Mom, can we go to the Lego Store today?

No.  I don’t have time.

Can dad take me?

No, he needs to go to work.

What about when he gets home from work?

No.  Nobody is going to take you to the Lego Store today.  Don’t ask again.

OK (shoulders slumped)

3 minutes later…

Dad, is your work by the Lego Store?

Nolan, dad is not going to take you to the Lego Store.  Stop.

OK (head hanging)

5 minutes later….

Mom, I’m thinking of something, but I don’t want to say what it is because I don’t want you to get mad at me.

Nolan, we’re not going to the Lego Store today.

How did you know what I was thinking?!  (he’s seriously shocked)

a few minutes pass..

Do I have a basketball game on Saturday? 

Yes.

Do you have to cook dinner on Saturday?

I don’t know what we’re doing for dinner, yet. 

Do you think you go take me to the Lego Store after my game since we’ll already be in the car and then you could get dinner at McDonald’s by the Lego Store?

Seriously, Nolan.  I’m going to start charging you money every time you ask and then you won’t have any money left to buy anything at the Lego Store.

OK.   I won’t ask anymore.  (exasperated, like Napolean Dynamite)

5 minutes later…

Do you think Aimee Shaw could take me to the Lego Store?

Anyway, you see how it goes.  Today when this poor, deprived child started in on me, I stumped him when I actually answered, “Yes.  I have time to take you today, Nolan.  Go get your money and your shoes on.” 

Euphoria.

2009 02 470 2009 02 468 2009 02 4782009 02 469  2009 02 474 2009 02 475 2009 02 477

So the Lego Store ended up being Target today.  And Ray wanted to come and spend his Christmas money from Grandma Turley (we don’t really have a relative by that name, but we do have a Grandma Turley).  And so we went.  and had hotdogs (not me) and icees and then we came home.  and Nolan had his Lego miner set out and practically built before I even had my purse put away and the camera out.  and so the cycle begins again.   Only this time the questions will be something like this:

Mom, how can I earn money?

Will you give me a dollar if I do my homework?

Can I have a dollar if I got to bed when you ask me to?

um, no.  Does anyone have a wage-earning job for a 6-year-old?

Technorati Tags: ,

9 comments:

  1. Kids are so good at being persistent, and cute... Kaitlyn's been begging me to take her to Toys"R"Us all day. Grandma and Grandpa Barry sent her birthday $$, and it's sooo burning a hole in her pocket. Unfortunately, Saturday's a long way off! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are the best days ever. and when i figure out how to make money for a 30 year old to have extra money to spend, i'll begin on the 6-year old question. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'll take him to the lego store the next time he wants to spend money. I have never been and I have been wanting to take Eli to see it. he is really into the star wars sets. he wants them all everytime we get the magazine in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's great you have him pay for his own toys. Even if he has to earn money by going to bed when you tell him to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, all caught up. going to clean. and feel grateful that i have a small gall bladder and that i can clean. you've had a busy month. glad that you have great friends to help you out. keep getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. clean the toilets. make him REALLY earn it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make the kids scrub the floors to earn something back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy, I'm so glad you sent your blog address, I have been dying laughing for the past 30 minutes. You are SO funny! I couldn't agree more with the previous parents' post. I love how honest all your other posts are, this is the real deal, unedited. What a fantastic blog!

    ReplyDelete

yes, please.