Sunday, February 1, 2009

Super Food Sunday

This is what I was doing in Gospel Doctrine today:

2009 02 elli 026

Making lists.  Isn’t that what YOU do during Gospel Doctrine?  yeah, Damon doesn’t either. 

The kids look forward to this day all year.  The day that we have junk for dinner:  Super Bowl Sunday.  Each of the kids chooses an appetizer to make and they get to prepare it and make it look pretty on a plate (the best part).  It’s a bit chaotic, but lots of fun.  If it were up to Nolan, we would do this every night for dinner. 

This year, we had an unintended party at our house.  You know, to celebrate the Sabbath.  We’d planned on having our own little (yeah, not really) family thing like we’ve done the last several years, but it kind of turned into something else.  I think it started when Aimee S. (that’s for you, babe) called and invited herself and her family over.  Yeah, come to think of it, that’s exactly when it started.  I’m totally into having people over, right up my alley, so of course I said, “Totally.  Come on over.  We’ll have plenty of food (no lie- you’ll see).” 

When I got off the phone with her, I was kind of excited.  This will be fun, I thought.  So I did something totally crazy (for me) and called some other friends of ours that live a few houses down, the Colletts.  They were all-game.  Yikes.  What have I done? 
“Mom, we’re not going to have enough food for us to eat!  You always invite everyone over!” (guess who?)  um, whatever, elli.

I sent one of the kids up to quickly clean the bathroom (and then sent Damon up after it was “done” so he could do it again) and had Jillian (yep, she came too) double the chocolate fondue.  Then, I helped all the kids with all their appetizers and we had a party.  on a Sunday. 

it went something like this (in table-format because that’s how damon makes me do it now so he doesn’t have to fix it for me later when all my pictures are covering up my text):

2009 02 elli 034  

veggies/dip:  Nolan and Jillian (see the blurry thing on the left?  that’s someone’s hand stealing an olive)
fruit tray:  cut up by Elli, arranged by Jill (doesn’t it look awesome?)
2009 02 elli 053

chocolate fondue:  made by Jillian
BBQ meatballs:  made by Nolan and Jillian
Sunchips:  dumped into the bowl by Savannah
caramel apple cheese dip:  made by Elli
stuffed mushrooms:  started by Emma and Ray, finished by me.
6-layer dip:  started by Jill, finished by me.
graham crackers, pop donated by S. family
IZZE sodas and a {better} 6-layer dip brought by Colletts.
2009 02 elli 032 our set-up:  a borrowed Microsoft projector hooked up to our Tivo. 

2009 02 elli 043 one of the things my mom complains about every time she visits me:  food waste.  We recycle it into our yardwaste container.  my mom thinks having 3 different types of waste (garbage, food recycle, paper/plastic/glass recycle) is overwhelming.  i think it’s awesome.  saves me money.
2009 02 elli 045 this is why i really “invited” aimee s:  she always feels the need to clean.  weird- huh?
2009 02 elli 049 in full swing…
2009 02 elli 064 2009 02 elli 056 Nolan was practically drinking the chocolate fondue from his bowl.  i had to put a kabosh on the fondue-eating.
2009 02 elli 068 sara and richie (sara reads my blog; she knew to smile for this pic)
2009 02 elli 093 troy and aimee-  (doesn’t read my blog)
2009 02 elli 071 richie brought 3-d glasses;  i think he was the only one who actually watches football and knew about them.
2009 02 elli 073 these glasses were to hide what troy was really doing:  sleeping.
2009 02 elli 077 savannah’s the only one that actually stayed upstairs to watch the game {what?  my mom’s letting me watch tv?!!}
2009 02 elli 110 the rest of these pictures were captured by the ever-talented Raymond.  enjoy…
2009 02 elli 088 did you know damon’s a giant?
2009 02 elli 080 the red on top and bottom?  “Ray, get your fingers off my lens!  Ray!”
2009 02 elli 086 a collett
2009 02 elli 095 a baby collett’s head
2009 02 elli 096 it’s his real hair
2009 02 elli 109 me- over-exposed.
2009 02 elli 113 jill (Ray’s girlfriend)
2009 02 elli 116 aimee s.
2009 02 elli 120 richie’s head
2009 02 elli 130 ray posed us for this picture.  “dad, go like this [arm around my shoulders] to mom.  put your heads together.. yeah, like that” click.
2009 02 elli 158 the stuffed mushrooms, gone:
1 lb sausage, cooked
8 ozs cream cheese
combine.
fill about 40 large mushroom tops.  bake @ 400 for 20-25 mins. the best.

and the best part?  the colletts left 2 bottles of IZZE at our house.  sweet.

Technorati Tags:

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great way to keep the sabbath day holy just hanging out with family and friends......UNLIKE someone in our house who actually went to the game, but I don't think I'm supposed to tell

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy. I just learned how to make stuffed mushrooms. They are sooo good! anytime you have somehting like this call us we love to be with friends on Sunday. We use to have people over and play Settlers but our family is a bit larger and hard to play bored games. Now we just have them oer for dinner or what I call a sabbath approved movie. Usually family movie rated G of course , disney movies, any or church related. I was raised watching tv all the time. Even on sundays, So little did david know that I would at least keep movies on sunday. Tv is out though unless it is a movie on tv see!! I had to comment that as I type in the word verification it says Puggi, and since my last name is pugmire I find that to be hillarious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what else do people do in gospel doctrine. you can't mean to tell me that other people are actually taking notes on the lesson, right? i totally make lists! looks like you had a lot of fun. we didn't even make an effort. oh well. you almost had me calling the authorities last night because it's freaking me out that i've posted before you like 4 days in a row. what is going on? i waited up as long as i could last night and then i gave up. i was worried that something serious had happened. and just after you had patted yourself on the back for 31 straight days ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you kidding me!? I better get an invite next time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Picture of Aimee reminds me of my mom and I when we visit others houses. We always love cleaning others houses, but not our own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the izze was the best part? i'd say those mushrooms alone were worth waking the kids over. thanks for the invite- maybe we'll be friends with you again sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete

yes, please.