Wednesday, November 11, 2009

think happy thoughts…

that’s my motto today.

one of my very best friends from high school is {supposedly} having her babies today.  we found out we were expecting together pretty early on this past spring.  we were due the same week of december.  we even had our ultrasounds the same july day:  i found out i was having a boy; she found out she was having twin boys!  I was envious of her on that day, and i am especially envious of her today. 

because of our linked pregnancies and our blogs, we have kept in better contact this year than we have in previous years.  i have loved being connected to her in these ways.  she is always someone that i have looked up to.  she’s prettier than me, undeniably more talented than me, way more fashionable, and far more socially in-tune and likable than me.  and yet she is someone that has always made me feel comfortable and loved and welcomed into her life and family.  she’s that friend that my mom probably most definitely liked more than her own daughter in our growing-up years.  she has had some major rough spots in her life when i ached and cried nightly for her in years past.  and now the roles have reversed.  it’s her turn to ache for me and cry for me.  and i know she has and will continue to. 

i have made it most clear to her these past weeks that i didn’t want her to feel bad about her still being able to birth healthy babies.  i have made it clear to her that i am still so excited for her and her family that they get to welcome these new boys into their sweet, deserving  family.  i was being really sincere when i said i didn’t want her to hold back or feel bad when she announced the births on her blog.  i really meant it when i told her i wanted to know all the details and that i was so overjoyed for her.  i really am happy for her.  really, i’m not just saying that.

but today when i read on someone else’s blog that my good friend was going to be having her babies TODAY (even though she’s not due for nearly a month), i admit i had to take a deep breath.  i wasn’t quite prepared for the onslaught of emotions that hit me.  the overwhelming sadness that selfishly filled my heart.  i had to remind myself how happy i am for her.  even though i’m so sad for me.

and, now i sit here and wait for her happy news and try to hold back my tears for myself.  and, i admit, it’s harder than i thought it would be.  i have no ill feelings toward my friend- or her much-loved and anticipated babies.  i truly am happy for her.

i don’t want to take away from her joy in any way, shape, or form.  i don’t want her to feel guilty.  i don’t even want her to feel bad for me {though i know she can’t help it}.  but i can still be sad for myself- right?   i can still acknowledge that’s it’s harder than i thought it would be- even though i’m still absolutely thrilled for her.  can i feel both of those emotions at once? 

in a way, i’m really looking forward to these babies being born now and not that first week of december.  it’s almost another milestone for me to get to:  her babies being born.  i’ve been anticipating her births nearly as much as my own.  it might be the last step before i actually confront that december 11th date of my own.  so maybe it’s another step in my healing.  and maybe it’s ok to be conflicted with feelings of both pain and joy. 

so, through mixed tears of both sadness for myself and immense joy for my friend, i sincerely congratulate my good friend and wish her all the blessings of strength and balance and sleep and love that she’s going to need in the coming weeks, months and years to lovingly and gracefully step into her new role- as a mother to twin boys and 4 other adorable children. 

and i wish myself those same blessings.  good luck to us. 

p.s.  if there was ever a time that i better hear about this birth from you, S, before i hear about it from my mom, this is it.  good luck with that, too. 

Technorati Tags: ,

25 comments:

  1. oh, amy, i have thought about you all day today. this was such a nice blog post, that i very much don't deserve. thank you. if i had just a fraction of your grace and poise and strength, i'd be happy.

    i will absolutely make sure my mom does not spill the news to your mom, and thus to you, before i tell you first.

    you're the best! thanks for being so supportive. i would expect nothing less than some sad feelings as your friends have babies all around you. i'm sorry you have to handle all of this. hang in there!

    still waiting for a bed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. because i am a certified blog stalker... i saw a reference to this on nienie. my thoughts immediately went to you. no amount of hansens soda/costco chocolate can take away your very human emotions. does it help that as i drink my diet peach flavor tonight i am thinking happy thoughts for you?

    p.s. it's only diet because i can't find regular peach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sarah- still waiting with you. hurry up and call, hospital!!

    mrs. timberlake- yes, that makes me feel much, much better. that, and the thought of david baker connecting all 3 commenters right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How hard/happy for both of you. Having Carmen so soon after losing our nephew was so bittersweet, but Matt's brother said he was happy for us and insisted we be happy too. We were happy, but we hurt so bad for them.

    Prayers for you, other Sarah. :) (Still praying for you, Amy.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mom does have a way of knowing all that is going on doesn't she. Made me smile. Such a wonderful tribute to "S". Always tried to model my friendships to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a nice post, Amy. One of your talents is honesty, and it's a good, rare talent, I think.

    Excuse the hijack...

    but, Mrs. T, did you grow up in the Phoenix North Stake? It seems like I've seen your comments before on my sil's blog - Nancy Craig? Am I making that up?

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes, you can feel all of those things. you're allowed. It's your experience. honoring both feelings at the same time is a sign of tremendous wisdom.

    Great thoughts on Sarah. She is as wonderful as you say:)!

    Where did dave baker come into play? like dave baker who likes cars, dave baker? how do you have that connection? so strange...

    ReplyDelete
  8. nat- just looked up our mutual friends on FB; sure enough, it's the same david baker. he's a ladies' man, i tell you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm totally laughing right now. great investigative work by the way:).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dave Baker who takes dates to shoot potato guns, only the dates aren't that into it and sit and watch, bored, while he and his buddy Royce think it's the greatest thing they've ever done? Just kidding, I know it's the same David Baker. He and I are buddies, we go way back. Raise your hand if you go way back with David Baker.

    ReplyDelete
  11. emily- are you trying to make your sister {and mrs. timberlake} jealous? you're not the only one who got to go on a date with dave. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought Ben L. was Sarah's guy? She went out with Dave, too? Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "and i thought i was special"...she thought raising her hand...

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh- and natalie- just noticed your mom is a mutual friend of david's, too. he really is a ladies' man

    ReplyDelete
  15. well, now i feel like the fifth wheel because i don't have any stories to tell about david baker and i'm not even friends with him on facebook. good luck, sarah, and congratulations. amy, i'm thinking of you always. even so much that i cringed at the title of tonight's post. probably totally inappropriate, but if it is i'll just add it to my "wish i were you" section of loser things i've said to my sister in her time of grief. it'll be your turn again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Emily, How does one begin to unravel the blog connections. We can start with my real name. Amy Corbin Merrill. My dad, Kent, was in North Stake, taught seminary at Tbird. There is a Knight connection there. I married a North Stake boy, Tony. I am now in PV stake where I ran into Steve in the Greenway building many moons ago. Are you bored yet?

    In regards to Dave Baker, I am sitting on my hands and know not what everyone is talking about.

    Amy, I think we will be in a fight today for outing everyone with Dave Baker. Just for a day. Just the kind of fight where I see you in the locker bay and keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mrs. T, ah yes, oh course. You and I have met before, even. I think I told you that I played Monopoly with your brother and it made me extraordinarily grumpy. Still in Greenway ward?

    ReplyDelete
  18. you always make me cry, amy. but then these comments are making me smile. i think emily will carry on amye's love of "connections."

    ReplyDelete
  19. ah, abby. i can bring you to the fold too. my husband's cousin has a link to you on her blog. not sure if it is just a blog crush she has on you or if you know each other = remi lundeen. aka remiandcole.blogspot.com

    k. i am done. wait no, i am not.

    emily, if you mean andrew... we are not blood related. just keep remembering that. i don't even play board games. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. amy m: i'm still cracking up. cuz i know remi, too. well, i don't know remi; i know about her. cole (of remiandcole) is natalie's (in my comments) little brother. so funny. you should have grown up in the 7th ward.
    are we good now?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Amy. I had read your blog early this year through some link. I revisited a few weeks ago when Sarah posted about you on her blog. I've been a reader daily ever since. Your story gives me strength. I'm so sorry for your loss of Calvin. He was a special little miracle and I cry with you when I read your blog. It's a reminder to me that "life is right now". And I think we all need that sometimes.

    On a much less serious note, I met Sarah in high school. You were so right about everything you said about her. I've always felt that I am a good person, but Sarah...Sarah is a wonderful person. We are just cut from a different cloth...me, plaid flannel...Sarah...purple silk. When I read your blog I wondered if we knew each other in a previous time since we both know Sarah. I went to Moon Valley. Maiden name, Gina Carpanzano. I was on cheer and had big red hair with aqua net bangs to the ceiling. But then, who didn't???

    ReplyDelete
  22. gina- i'm sure i've met you, but i didn't go to moon valley; i went to apollo. you probably wouldn't remember me, but i knew a lot of sarah's friends from MV. she had lots of them. your hair rings a bell. :) thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mrs. T, don't let this get out, but Steve's first date and subject of a major crush was Tiffany Lundeen. I don't think he knows she's your cousin. And yes, I meant Andrew, and I won't hold you accountable for this non-blood-brother's ruthless Monopoly schtick from about 14 years ago. I'm over it, really.

    ReplyDelete
  24. i am completely late to this blog party, but i am loving the connections being made.

    amy, you and gina have certainly met in passing, probably several times. gina was my darling red-headed cheerleader friend who was friends with sundae stump who was friends with some of your apollo friends. bust out the old h.s. prom photos that i gave you and you'll see her in a big group photo of about 10 girls. you still have those photos, of course!

    david baker is getting some serious coverage here. let's play 6 degrees to db. or is it 7?

    ReplyDelete

yes, please.