Monday, October 5, 2009

the farm

in snohomish.

that’s where our fun was had tonight.  the weather is unseasonably awesome and we took full advantage of it.

in a normal year, i wouldn’t have even thought about getting pumpkins this early.  it would be something my kids would be bugging me to do the entire month of october before we just hurried and got pumpkins- in the pouring rain and mud the last day before halloween.  i’m not a big halloween fan.  everything seems like such a waste of money to me:  the candy, the costumes, the pumpkins…

but this year is different.  i feel like i need to be ready for christmas by november so i’m thinking way ahead- and maybe that’s why we got our pumpkins 3 1/2 weeks early this year. 

some of the highlights:

2009 10 002 
running into the pumpkin patch

2009 10 004 2009 10 006 
elli’s humongous [honeycrisp] apple

2009 10 011 2009 10 019  2009 10 021 2009 10 022 
rolling the [too heavy]  pumpkins to the wheelbarrow

2009 10 025 
wheelbarrow overflowing with 6+ huge pumpkins- for $36

2009 10 029 2009 10 031
oh dear.

2009 10 032
i can hear it already…

2009 10 036  2009 10 039
watching the duck races

2009 10 047
savannah’s apple core (that she wasn’t even finished with yet)

 2009 10 052 2009 10 053  2009 10 064
the highlight of their day

 2009 10 0552009 10 068 2009 10 071
elli teaching the kitty how to text

2009 10 075 2009 10 076  2009 10 079
and, here it comes…

2009 10 097
no matter how many times you ask, the answer will still be NO
[the biggest laugh i got tonight was when elli tried to tell me “i’ll bet grandma nevada would have let YOU have a kitty if you asked for one!”]  um, wrong.

 2009 10 092 
the stars of the “3 Little Pigs” show

2009 10 100 2009 10 103 
photo op- in very poor lighting


2009 10 126
 2009 10 117 2009 10 119 2009 10 125
at the [washington state shaped and themed] corn maze

what made it all worth it for me:    2009 10 132
a 40 pound box of those huge washington-grown honeycrisp apples for 42 bucks.  what a steal.  we’ve already eaten the top layer.

the only thing that could have made this day more productive is if we could have cut down our christmas tree while we were out there.  that’s how ready i am for christmas and the holidays. 

9 comments:

  1. i wish i could echo the "great weather" sentiment, but the weather here sucks. but now i am getting anxious to go get our pumpkins. and i can't even think about the number that goes along with the cost of halloween. it's all worth it in the end for the kids, right? the apples look so delicious. and you better get all the holidays done and over with so you're ready to scrapbook your life away in a few weeks =).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks way fun. I think I'll ask my sister and her family to go with us soon since she lives out there. :)

    You converted me to honeycrisp apples. I think you told me about them when I mentioned I was going to make candybar salad for one of the Halloween parties. I don't know how I had never heard of them before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, that looks so fun! the picture of the kids in the field is my favorite thing about this post. i really really love it. and lastly, your belly is cute, amy:).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone looked like they had a fun time! What a nice farm-- so green! I'm trying to get used to the farms down here, lot's of dirt and dust. I just love pumpkin season!!! You all look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is the farm called? I gotta go there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a good time. The pumpkins must have been VERY reasonably priced. Last year I think we got 1 pumpkin at the pumpkin patch and it was like $20+ Where exactly is this place, or what is it called?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so funny! I love that you would get a tree too! I totally know the feeling. I am still laughing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. all you washingtonions: i added a link into my post to THE FARM's (yes, that's what it's actually called) website. i highly recommend to all of you. super fun and lots of stuff to do. a bit of a drive, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm totally gonna go! Thanks for the link. Hopefully the weather will hold out long enough for me to take Will, he's with his dad this week, so it'll have to be NEXT weekend. Gah, what are the chances of nice weather then??

    ReplyDelete

yes, please.