Friday, October 30, 2009

another bad mark on my medical charts

do you want to know what’s worse than having this on my medical chart?

having this on my medical chart:

232323232fp63249_nu=3__6_56;_258_WSNRCG=3249658;8;349nu0mrj[1]

i didn’t know what a rainbow computer printout on my hospital room door or a hand-written one on the corner of my medical chart [when i returned to my doctor for a follow-up visit] meant before October 15th. 

now that i know, it will forever change the way that i feel about rainbows. 

rainbow- in medical terms- means that there was an “undesirable outcome”.  basically, be careful around this patient.  do not assume she has a healthy baby- or any baby for that matter.  tread very carefully. 

and so that rainbow follows me from doctor’s visit to doctor’s visit- where i am carefully escorted into special “consult” rooms (instead of ultrasound or medical procedure rooms) and a special post-partum visit is set up for me in a location far away from post-partum mothers that actually have babies with them. 

it actually makes me kind of sad to see a rainbow. 

but when i shared this information with a friend recently, she reminded me that rainbows also symbolize God’s faithfulness and his promise to never again destroy the earth by flood. 

so maybe, a rainbow for me is a sign from my Heavenly Father that he is watching over me and that i’ll never have to experience this again? 

maybe that’s what the medical rainbow really symbolizes:  faith and hope that this will never happen again to me. 

Technorati Tags: ,,

10 comments:

  1. funny you should bring this up. did you see the amazing rainbow over the seattle skies after just leaving calvin's funeral? and of course my mind goes immediately to the song "i'll build you a rainbow" .. which i just heard on the radio the other day {only in utah}. yes, definitely a symbol of hope and promise. and calvin was sending you a beautiful one that friday. let's hope for no more rainbows on your medical record, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember now the path of clickety clicks that led me to your blog last week. I am glad I'm here though. I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, brooke. now i'm going to have to track that song down. i'm already starting to cry. it seems like someone had a picture of that rainbow on their camera; hopefully it was on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Am, You do have a copy of the pic on your computer when we uploaded my pictures Friday night you got the rainbow picture. I like to think it is a promise to you from Heavenly Father. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a beautiful thought that Heavenly Father made a promise to you.

    Have I mentioned lately that music is a rainbow? ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is this the song?
    http://www.imeem.com/islandneni/music/kj2ur8ns/kapena-ill-build-you-a-rainbow/

    ReplyDelete
  7. lise- yes, that's the song, but not the version i i remember. this is the version i so vividly remember:
    http://www.allaboutmormons.com/ENG_Video86.php

    when i re-discovered this song last night, i was cracking up thinking they played this on the radio in utah. how weird. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. to me rainbows just mean gay. Shows the age difference I guess.

    I'm glad you're finding a new meaning in the rainbow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. erin- i actually noticed the "rainbow" with an open box next to it on my chart at a doctor's appointment before all this happened, and i thought the same thing. why would they want to keep track of whether or not i was gay?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I like the rainbow better. Actually I know I like the rainbow better. At the hospital I was in when I lost my son they had a leaf with a tear drop on it....I like the rainbow much better.

    That is such a special picture. The wierd thing is that I didn't even know that there was a sign on my door. No one told me. I was just put in the delivery room farthest away from any of the other laboring mothers.

    ReplyDelete

yes, please.