- today was nolan’s first time participating in fast sunday. i think it was harder than he realized it would be, but he did a great job. this morning, he mentioned to me how tempted he was to eat something. and i gave him a very compassionate response about how “not eating was the hardest part of fasting” to which he looked at me like i was a complete idiot and responded with, “mom, not eating is the ONLY part of fasting.” like, duh. 5 people abstaining from eating and drinking for 20+ hours does not make for intelligent conversation. nolan took fasting for a specific purpose to heart and fasted for his blisters on his feet to magically disappear. we have taught our son well.
- savannah gave a talk in primary today on how the Holy Ghost testifies of truth. she did a stellar job, and i couldn’t help but notice how much she’s improved in her talk-giving skills in the past several years. she has gone from “deer in the headlights” and not saying a word when she’s up at the microphone to making eye contact and giving a clear, concise talk in a good speaking voice. awesome.
- emma isn’t feeling well today. she fell asleep (at someone else’s house that she was supposed to be babysitting for) last night about 7 and slept through church this morning and got up only to take a bath and then went back to bed again. it is 4:40 pm and she just came downstairs for the day.
- we had a very random dinner tonight. every once in a while we make a bunch of {very} unrelated dishes and call it dinner. it’s a great way to clear out my pantry and freezer of food we’re not sure if we’ll like or food that doesn’t have enough left in the package to make a full meal (and maybe even food that has “expired”). tonight’s dinner included a boxed thai dish (yuck), barbecued chicken meatballs (yum), roasted garlic and chicken rice-a-roni (OK), ravioli (yum), celery with peanut butter and chocolate chips (OK), jell-o no-bake cheesecake (yum for damon, yuck for everyone else), jiffy corn muffins (OK), lay’s limon potato chips (super yum), chocolate milk (OK), and apple pie (yuck). it was a success. and i am delighted to have cleaned out a shelf in my freezer as well as using up stuff from my pantry.
- we are about to watch a movie as a family. it is a movie i remember loving as a kid, but am expecting to be pretty disappointed with today (isn’t that how things go?). anyone remember savannah smiles? {guess who is thrilled about the title of this movie?} we’ll see if it’s as great as i remember it being as a kid.
- the constant downpour of rain is getting very old. where are you summer?
- family picture in two takes. TWO takes. we’re good.
Amy... Savannah Smiles is one of my favorite movies. I love you!
ReplyDeleteSummer is here in Utah (at LAST!). How fickle we are about the weather--one day complaining about the constant rain and the next walking around like we all have heat stroke when it hits the mid 80's! We humans have such a small comfort zone, it's amazing peope can live anywhere but San Diego.
ReplyDeleteMy kids were working on fasting today, too. It's hard enough as an adult when your blood sugar is low, let alone trying to make it a positive (or at least not totally negative) experience for the kids with low blood sugar who are STARVING because they haven't had snacks between their meals all day (we start small around here).
Hope you get some sunshine!
That's so funny. I was thinking, "I wonder if it's Savannah Smiles?" I just put it on my Netflix queue this week. My kids were complaining that I don't order enough kid movies, so I thought, "Fine. Here's a kid movie." I am wondering too if it's as good as I remember it.
ReplyDeletei must be tired because it took me several minutes to figure out where the "shorts" were in your post. i get it now. i definitely remember loving that movie, too, but i have no recollection of what it is even about.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE that movie!!!
ReplyDeletetotally remember savannah smiles.
ReplyDeleteyour family pictorial is pretty fabulous... and to think TWO takes... amazing.
Um.....guess what movie I got our for my girls the night of the Father and Son's camp out? Savannah Smiles! I LOVED that movie so much as a little girl! Gabby LOVED it.....Alexis liked it. I've sung the song from that movie since the day I met your Savannah! How random! Our family movie yesterday was the original Karate Kid. We all liked it a lot!
ReplyDeleteI'm with Brooke. It seems like I've seen that movie, but could not tell you what it's about. Let us know.
ReplyDeletewow. who knew that SAVANNAH SMILES was so popular? i didn't think anyone would have even heard of it! the movie still made me cry (for the parts i stayed awake for); my kids are still asking questions about it. the savannah in the movie is just as adorable as i remember her. if it was a favorite movie of yours, rent it again. i'm pretty sure i'll be watching it again before i return it. i couldn't believe how familiar i was with nearly every scene.
ReplyDeleteI haven't seen the movie since I was little. I definitely will be renting it!
ReplyDelete