this is where i am right now:
[more on that tomorrow]
i’ll start right in with my story:
i’m at the swimming pool, hanging out with a great friend (sitting right next to me) and 5 ten-year-old girls- all in the pool. it’s a fairly small area. there is only one other party at the pool: about 6 older ladies who are all drinking heavily and sharing a large bag of cheetohs. all of a sudden, i smell cigarette smoke.
at first i think i’m imagining it with my new pregnant sense of smell, but then i see it: the pack of cigarettes underneath one of the classy ladies’ chairs. seriously? i don’t know if there’s anything i hate more than cigarette smoke- in a place that shouldn’t have cigarette smoke. like a playground or a family setting or just smokers who are being totally selfish and could care less about all the people around them that they are affecting with their habit.
anyway, i’m not sure how to handle it. do i ask her to please not smoke, the smell is going to make me vomit or do i call the front desk and ask them what their policy is?
i decided to be a chicken and chose the latter option. even as mandy (who is sitting right next to me) is having a conversation with one of the ladies, i discreetly call the front desk from my cell phone and explain the problem.
the lady at the front desk told me there was no smoking allowed in the pool area and she said she’d send somebody right up to take care of it. whew, i was off the hook
or so i thought.
a few minutes later, a “hot” (as the classy ladies called him after he left) suit-clad security guy comes out into the pool area from inside the hotel. the ladies immediately start to hide their beer bottles as they realize he is heading their direction.
“is there a problem? are we not allowed to have glass bottles or alcohol out here” (um, no)
“Actually, i’m coming to inform you that there’s no smoking allowed out here.”
“oh. we’re sorry. we didn’t know. there aren’t any signs or anything.”
“that’s OK, ma’am. I just need you to put your cigarette out.”
“How did you know we were smoking?”
“SOMEBODY CALLED AND COMPLAINED.”
yeah, thanks for that.
but the classy, really smart ladies didn’t even figure it out and went on and on about how other people couldn’t keep out of others’ business. and what would possess someone to just complain when it wasn’t even bothering them. i mean i can understand if they were out here at the pool and didn’t want us to smoke [can you really?], but why would someone who saw us smoking out of their hotel room window feel the need to call and report it?
and mandy and i are looking around at all the windows trying to find that selfish person who would report such a stupid crime as simply smoking a pack of cigarettes in a a no-smoking environment. i mean, really, mind your own business, people.
sheesh. we never could find out who that complainer was. hopefully she found something better to do with her time than watch out of her hotel room watching for rule-breakers.
some people.
I would've been so tempted to vomit right in front of them. When I was pregnant with Eric, the girl downstairs constantly had friends smoking in her apartment until my place was visibly smokey. It was gross, it was humiliating (when I had other people over), and worst of all, it made me puke all day long. We brought our bedding to my mom's to spend the night and it stunk up the room. The worst. I was never so happy for a lease to end (the managers refused to do anything about it).
ReplyDeleteI laughed my head off about the smokers looking for the snitch who must've been watching from their window. Hilarious.
Okay, Amy this was one of your funniest blogs ever....now that I have stopped belly laughing I can say that I would have done the exact same thing. Too chicken to confront but boy I'm a darn good tattle-tale. What a hoot you are! Thanks for the laugh and have fun!
ReplyDeletetotally funny. cigarette smoke pretty much ruins everything. i would ask why you're chillin' at a hotel pool, but i'm guessing that's for tomorrow's post, right? can't wait. and pick on someone your own age ... =)
ReplyDeleteOKAY-I agree with Karri, BEST yet. I love it sooo much I read it to David and he was laughing soo hard. It is exactly what we would have done! LOL hahaha
ReplyDelete