Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sunday Socks

I am very fashion-forward.  Sundays are no exception.  One of my favorite parts of Sunday is the moment when we get home from church and my loving husband puts fuzzy, fat wool socks on my freezing feet (unintended alliteration).  It usually looks amazing with my Sunday Best. 

2009 01 1212

And fast-becoming another favorite part of my Sunday is this conversation:

Elli:  “mom, can I make dinner again like I did last week for your birthday?  I promise I’ll clean up my mess.”

me:  “Absolutely.  Do you want to make grilled cheese or quesadillas or something?”

Elli:  “No, that’s too easy.  I want to make something that will take a long time so it will keep me busy all afternoon.”

me:  “Fantastic.  I’ll be up in my room.  Let me know when dinner is ready.”

And just when I thought it couldn’t get any better, Elli came up to my room (where Ray has been gracing me with his 4-year-old boy presence) and said, “Ray, we’re making puppets for FUNDAY.  Do you want to make one?”

And I’m all alone again in my room.  Did I mention how much I love FUNDAY*(I mean Sunday)?

Here's what our lesson in RS was on today.  It was super awesome.  One of the women made a comment and paraphrased Neal A. Maxwell.  She said, “Don’t confuse the crosses in your life with the chips you place on your shoulder.”  Loved that. 

Also, great messages in Sacrament Meeting about service and “finishing.”  We can and need to endure.  Sometimes, just wanting/hoping to do good, be better is not enough.  We need to DO.  Reminds me of when Elder Holland visited our stake last year and pleaded with us “not to jump out of the boat when life got hard.” 

*that’s another post for another day

Technorati Tags: ,,

7 comments:

  1. how did i miss 'funday' when i was up there? sounds like reason enough to come back! your kids are giving me hope that one day in the distant future i can appreciate the generosity and service of my children instead of them always appreciating it from me. and we now must know what it is that she fixed so fancily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. .. and the socks, totally hot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. she fixed angel hair pasta with a special cheese sauce that she made. She also made juice and something else. Dinner was delivered to me in my room.
    all the kids were starving at bedtime, though (she served dinner about 4) so i'm not sure what they actually ate- or how much. all i know is i didn't cook anything.
    lucy's totally going to get into this. pretty soon, having kids will be worth it for you. but not yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy has spent a lot of time over the years nurturing the kids' curiosity for and love of cooking. She lets them gather around to watch her cook (personal space anyone?), gives them opportunities to partcipate. Often she stands back and lets them create on their own. And now they're increasingly independent. I suspect this comes naturally on her side of the family, but I've been amazed to watch Amy practically raise our kids in the kitchen.

    And yes, the socks. So hot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe it's time for grandma to start sending my "to try" recipes to Ellie and Emma for them to try. Are there any foods that they don't like...(in other words, are they as "picky" as Amy was when she was a teen?..or will they pretty much try anything?) Do you keep hamburger mix and chicken mix on hand?

    ReplyDelete
  6. and i didn't even ask damon to say that about me. he's nice- a lot.
    yes, mom- the girls would love recipes to try. and yes, they are picky, but i don't think as picky as i was. is anyone as picky as i was?
    yes on hamburger (now ground turkey) and chicken mixes.
    and it's ELLI (no E on the end); it's just an abbreviation of Ellison, no added letters.
    thanks for all the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was in Utah last year, Brooke and I saw a decorated plate that said, "the kitchen was built for bringing families together". It works!

    ReplyDelete

yes, please.