Wednesday, January 21, 2009

in the mail

2009 01 1039 (Damon will be so proud that I creatively covered up our names/address with my thumb!  I probably still did something else really obvious to jeopardize our privacy, though)

I got three things in the mail yesterday that made me extremely happy:

1.  My order from Snapfish:  400+ pictures that chronicle November and December of 2008 (scary, I know).  I never should have challenged myself to take more pictures in the month of December. 
Usually, my children’s scrapbooks are bare from Halloween until a child’s spring birthday.  I’m lucky to get my annual Christmas card and a Christmas Morning layout squeezed out of my measly documentation of Christmas. 

This year was different.  I vowed to take more pictures.  And that I did, to the tune of 400 pictures (divided roughly by five). 

2.  I also received my first TAX RETURN DOCUMENT ENCLOSED piece of mail today.  This makes me happy because I love doing my taxes.  Odd, I know, but it’s true.  I love the thrill of the numbers, and I especially love my refund.  It always pays to have 5 kids and be a full-tithe-paying Mormon come tax-time.  I usually have my refund in my bank account by the first week of February.  This year, I seem to be a bit behind, but I’m sure I’ll get it done soon enough.

3.  The third piece of mail that I received was also regarding the IRS, but instead of making me smile upon first seeing it, I got a knot in my stomach.  This one was not about filing my 2008 return, but a dispute about my 2006 return.  This is the letter that would tell me if I filed an incorrect claim in 2006, off by $19,999 or if I was justified in claiming that same amount as an itemized deduction.  This has been weighing on my mind since last October when I received my first letter and sent my detailed reply and explanation in November. 

And I breathed a huge sigh of relief when the letter said I was right.  (not in those words, of course).  Bottom line:  I do not owe the IRS any additional money.  Hallelujah.

4.  The fourth piece of mail I DID NOT RECEIVE was a package from Brooke.  “Mom- when are we going to get the candy that Brooke sent?” 

And, also

I wanted to address how lame I am.  [What?  did you even know?!]  I had every intention of watching Obama’s inauguration yesterday, and I just didn’t get around to it.  Is that the lamest excuse ever?  I’m ashamed.  After hearing so much about it, I felt super dumb that I didn’t make it a priority yesterday and promised myself I’d watch it today. 

I am inspired by many who commented on their blogs about how empowering and amazing it was, by my kids who all watched it in their elementary school classrooms, and by those I talked to that were equally in awe.  I, too, am ready for change and am 100% behind President Obama {whether I voted for him or not}.  I did watch the events of yesterday (in a shortened form) this morning from the comforts of my own bed. 

2009 01 1080.JPGc (with added text- to make Brooke even more jealous)

I feel proud, scared, hopeful, and immense gratitude for our country.  I am fully aware that I lack the complete depth of what this means to have our first African American president, but proud just the same. This is what is amazing to me, though:  What a freakin’ busy, exhausting day  and he has to start “work” today as President of the US.  I so would not want that job.

6 comments:

  1. What are those little numbers above your thumb? Are the revealing? I've got one word for you: Photoshop. (Okay, in reality it's Microsoft Expression Design, but I also call tissues "Kleenex.")

    ReplyDelete
  2. jerk! =) for so many reasons - implying that i haven't yet mailed your package, adding text to your pics again, pointing out that you added text to your pic just to make me jealous, and finally for having your post already done today. again, jerk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't relate to you #1, but I know all about your #2 and your #3. (And I'm happy for you.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though you said the mail items were happy, I tensed up for the IRS one! I'm glad that turned out so well.

    Years ago we got a letter from the IRS saying they owed us money and we were terrified to cash it in case later on they thought they made a mistake and wanted it back. We checked the numbers for hours and we discovered that the Air Force finance department did indeed make a mistake in what they reported. The cool thing was, we had just had to do a car repair costing almost that exact amount.

    Wow, that is a lot of pictures you took. I hope you got a great deal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. we fear it every year because I watch a little boy/girl and we always pay taxes on what I make and we never know if we are doing it right. I love the return though. With three this year it should be helpful. hopefully we will not owe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that was a long post. Very cool, though, too. IRS letters make my stomach clench and cramp and I'm glad it was good news. I also glad you took the time to watch the (shortened) inauguration. It was electrifying!! I had so much fun watching them dance together. We definately needed this change in the White House. Some soul and coolness. lol

    ReplyDelete

yes, please.