Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Nolan at twelve

Nolan is truly a joy to parent.  It's not that I love him any more than any of my other awesome children, it's just that he is so responsive and aware.  And if he's this aware at twelve, how much better will he get?

When I think of Nolan, I think of these descriptors:
  • mature
  • responsible
  • accountable
  • genuine
  • enthusiastic
  • appreciative
  • intelligent
  • learner
  • organized
  • anxious
  • persistent
  • happy
  • funny
  • witty
  • eager
  • loving
  • compassionate
  • aware
  • likable
  • successful
  • respectful
  • sleep-walker
  • chocolate lover

things he spends his time doing:
  • writing computer programs/games with Scratch.
I could probably end the list with that, but I'll add more just to make him seem more well-rounded:
  • playing with Madsen
  • checking his email
  • looking up cool and random information on the internet or in books
  • reading books on his Kindle
  • asking me if he can buy another book on the Kindle because he just finished the book I bought him 2 hours ago already
  • asking me to take him to Target to waste his money on candy and toys that break on the car ride home
  • reciting Brian Regan jokes
  • telling me how many followers he has on Scratch
  • growing out of his clothes and shoes
  • wrapping up in his Snuggie or electric blanket
  • reminding me that I promised to take him to Hawaii like 8 years ago
things that endear me to Nolan:
  • when he tells me thank you out of the blue for things I do daily for him.  "Mom, thank you for making my lunch every day.  I really appreciate it."
  • when he races ahead of me to open my car door for him.
  • when he stops what he's doing (on the computer) to unload the dishwasher the very first time I ask him to do it
  • when he gives me a hug or tells me he loves me before he leaves for school
  • when he gets so excited that I've made his favorite breakfast for him (eggs benedict)
  • when he thinks something through and has everything organized and prepared for school/event the next day (backpack packed, asks me to wake him up at a very specific time so he can study again in the morning, reminder notes written to himself or me about stuff he needs to remember to do/get in the morning).  this is my kind of thinking
  • when he leaves the 2nd testimony page blank in his Faith in God book because he's "leaving room for his testimony to grow"
lest you think he is the perfect child, these are some of the things that drive me crazy about my 12-year-old:
  • his annoying sounds /noises he makes...just because
  • his constant need to go to the bathroom when he's anxious or excited about something
  • his weirdness about not being able to fall asleep some nights.  panicking and crying because he's so worried that he can't fall asleep- even though he has clearly woken himself up to come into my room and wake me up to tell me he hasn't been able to fall asleep at all. 
  • his constant determination/persistence/badgering when he wants something or when I've "promised" him something
  • his impatience with Ray when Ray is being annoying
  • his magnetic draw to the computer
  • his tendency to get frustrated easily and sabotage himself when he doesn't get something right away or can't find something
  • his annoying habit of chewing on his shirt collar when he's on the computer
I am grateful for my Nolan.  He is a blessing to our family every day, weaknesses and all.  I am proud to be his mom and an excited to see what he will become as he grows up.

1 comment:

yes, please.