{didn’t catch the leprechauns}
is it already that time of year again?
sadly, i haven’t made any progress in my feelings towards st. patrick’s day. i still loathe the leprechaun trap. i don’t know which is meaner: telling my son the truth about leprechauns or perpetuating the lie that i didn’t start? he is just so dang excited about he whole idea of catching a leprechaun. which is just about equivalent to just how dang disappointed he is when his leprechaun trap does not serve its intended purpose.
this is the letter that savannah excitedly pulled out of her backpack this afternoon:
but nolan’s already got a head start on savannah because he built version one of his sneaky trap last night. he has also called in for backup and invited three of his friends over after school today to help him in his quest for building a successful leprechaun-catching-contraption. nolan is so convincing that i sometimes start to wonder myself if maybe leprechauns are real.
but reality quickly sets in that leprechauns are in fact just a big pain in the neck when i am awakened at 6 a.m. this morning by my bright-eyed seven-year-old boy who can’t go back to sleep because he is convinced he is hearing “jigs” being sung downstairs. my kids don’t even wake up on christmas morning at 6 a.m..
i tried convincing them that the fully-popped bag of microwave popcorn that was discovered in the microwave this morning was really from the leprechauns. the kids looked at me like i’m totally nuts for thinking that a tiny leprechaun could be responsible for a bag of popcorn because clearly it’s way too big for the little guys and the microwave is much too high for them to reach.
but it IS completely feasible that leprechauns would be singing jigs in our living room.
okay - I have never heard of a leprechaun [that is a weird spelling] trap. Ellie has never had to do one. ever. what they doing there in Seattle?
ReplyDeleteWho needs leprechauns to play tricks when you have such imaginative children around?
ReplyDeleteWhat's worse than a teacher who assigns leprechaun trap homework? A teacher who doesn't know your/you're.
ReplyDeletei'm so glad we don't do leprechaun traps here either - at least i'm hoping the assignment is not on it's way home. i've been thinking about you as this holiday approaches. and wondering if your children will indeed catch one this year. good luck, nolan.
ReplyDeleteIt was St. Patrick's Day on a Sunday when Jared informed me that his teacher told him about how a leprechaun would be leaving a treasure that night. I had no treasure and wasn't going shopping. So I did what any good mother would do. I put green food coloring in the toilet and told him we had one of those silly leprechauns and all he did was use our potty when we weren't looking.
ReplyDeleteemily: AGREED. i'll stop there.
ReplyDeleteOh man, I laughed so hard at this one. That video is too funny with the "Get it? GOLDfish."
ReplyDeleteI am afraid that I did assign that project in my class, but never sent it home! The students made the trap in class, and the Leprechaun visited the class that evening leaving green footprints all over (the classroom)and the traps foiled.
I thought it was pretty funny when the students would say that they tried to catch him in Kindergarten, but he got away. Then I would convince them that they were older and had better ideas now that they were in second grade...
Have some fun with it Amy (it's a lot less work than another holiday in October...)
i remember the day i made a leprechaun trap in third grade and i asked you for a box and you said "Elli really? i dont want to make another trip to Ben Franklin to buy a whole bunch of green things so that youll think 'leprechuans' are real! im the leprechuan Elli."
ReplyDeleteAhhh! So is THIS what Anna was telling me about last week? I'm afraid it might be. Something about her kindergarten teacher & traps but they get to do the project at home. Oh, how lucky for me!
ReplyDeletep.s. Thank you for the fb comment, btw. All I know is that I want to put some money in our girlies' hands so they can learn what to do with it {and stop the begging for those darn horse toys}. And I know I want it to be simple. I'd never be able to keep up a complex system of keeping tabs on every little chore. I like your weekly FHE payout. {And I love the idea of direct deposit in bank accounts!}
I have never heard of this. Leprechaun traps? huh? Weird. What if the note never makes it to the parents? The kid is just disappointed?
ReplyDeleteAnd also, I agree with Emily!