Tuesday, January 5, 2010

NYR for Ellison

That was fun (for me).  Let’s try this again. 

2009 08 697

  1. Be more respectful.  of people’s time.  of people’s things.  of people’s feelings.  of people that are your parents. 
  2. Have compassion for others. Yes, there are others.
  3. Be a contributor- not a contaminator.  Remember that everything you say or do in a relationship will either make the relationship better or make it worse.  Be conscious of the things you say and do to your siblings and parents and friends so that you will always be contributing in a positive way.
  4. Pick your clothes up off the floor- every time you notice them on the floor.  Better yet, don’t even bother to put your clothes on the floor.
  5. Notice that your clothes are on the floor.  That’s what you’re stepping on.  {and it might be why your mom’s in a bad mood all of a sudden}
  6. Accept that your mom is right.  Nothing will change that.  especially your bad attitude.
  7. When your mother asks you to do something, don’t say “I’ll do it later”.  Instead, respond with “straightaway, mother”, just like in the American Girl movies.
  8. After you say “straightaway, mother” then actually do what your mother asked you to do- straightaway.
  9. Watch more American Girl movies.
  10. Say thank you.  When your mom drives you somewhere-  don’t just get out of the car and walk away.  {I just deleted a bunch more stuff}  Say thank you often.
  11. When your mother tells you she loves you, say “I love you, too” back.  Actually, when anyone tells you they love you, tell them you love them (except for Freddie- you don’t need to tell Freddie you love him back).
  12. Spend less time noticing yourself in the mirror and more time noticing the messes you’re creating all around you.  and then clean them up.
  13. Do your best to remember that everything your mother does is for you.  to help you become the best person you can be.  Remember that even when it seems like your mom is trying to make your life miserable, she’s not.  She wants more than anything else for you to be happy and successful.  Sometimes you’ll be able to see that, but mostly you’ll just need to trust her. 
  14. Live the gospel standards.  You cannot possibly understand- in your twelve-and-three-quarter years of life- how much the decisions you are making right now will affect you for the rest of your life.  even the seemingly small ones like what you choose to do with your spare time and who you choose to be friends with.  Live the gospel standards.
    {are we still talking about New Year’s Resolutions here?"}
  15. Stop asking if you can have a Facebook account.  This will not even become an option for you until you turn thirteen.
  16. Don’t turn thirteen.
  17. Grow your testimony.  Take notice of the feelings you have when you are making good choices.  When you are proud of something you’ve done.  Think about the things you KNOW and have confidence that you know more than you think you know.  Look for the Lord’s hand in everything you do.  He loves you, too.
  18. Be respectful.  Did I already say that one?
  19. IF you are ever allowed to have another sleepover, go to bed {well} before 6 a.m. 
  20. Be accountable.  Be willing to see your part in every situation.  in every situation.  even the ones that aren’t your fault.  especially the ones that aren’t your fault.
  21. Music:  turn it down and let it lift you up.
  22. Practice learning the difference between “not understanding” something and “not wanting to understand” something. 
  23. Follow through more consistently.  When you finish your homework, put it in your bag.  When you finish putting your homework in your bag, put your bag in your locker.  When you finish putting your bag in your locker, close your locker.  When you take the lid off the salsa, put it back on all the way
  24. Text less, listen more
  25. Practice the guitar.  Let your raw musical talent guide you in learning to play the guitar.  and love it.
  26. Stop accusing your mom of not listening to you.  Just because she’s not doing what you’re demanding does NOT mean she doesn’t listen to you. 
  27. When your mother tells you she loves you, believe her.  You couldn’t possibly fathom the depth of love that a mother has for her child- no matter how much she yells and argues with said child.  If there is anything a mother wants for her daughter to know, it is that she loves her.  Your mother loves you.

Technorati Tags: ,,,

18 comments:

  1. I'm having the sudden urge to clean up my room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a sudden urge to write NYR for all of my family!!! Let me know how successful you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... I got confused there for a second and thought you were writing NYRs for Holly.

    Good list. I always love reading a good fairy tale ;-)

    P.S. Sorry for inadvertantly commenting on your blog. I'll now resume my regularly scheduled practice of commenting on all blogs but yours :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy,
    I'm a friend of Damon's from his freshman ward at BYU. I just saw his link on Facebook to your family Christmas letter, which led me here. First of all, I am so, so sorry for your loss. I can only imagine the rollercoaster emotions that you all have experienced this year. Actually, I've read through some of your blog posts, and you have documented them rather eloquently. You are pretty amazing. I hope that with time the pain becomes less sharp and the joy increases.
    Second, you are riotously funny. I need to copy this post for my 12-YO son, who acts more like a teenage girl than my 14-YO girl. My friend says that when they go to middle school, there is a bucket at the door where they drop their brains. I think it's true.
    I wish all the best for you and your family this year. I think I'll have to keep reading...Give my best to Damon--he was a very good friend to me in 1991/2.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Instead of "Straightaway, Mother"- here in the South we tell the kids, "Just say 'yes ma'am' and do it". Love the list for Ellison!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to laugh about this from a purely philosophical point of view. Following all these posts about Damon's perfectionism and overachiever-ness, are we left to believe that Elli takes more after her mother than her father? Or have two recessive Make Messes-I Don't Care-It's Not My Fault genes teamed up in Elli's DNA? Hmmm....curious to know that, and what Nevada would have to say about Amy at age 12 3/4. If she's like my mother-in-law, the years have erased most frustration and left only the happy memories in their place. Which is what I'm banking on with my children (that they have happy memories of me and not memories of me yelling at them. And maybe that I forget some of those frustrating days, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shoot, I'm 21 and I still need to work on some of the things... mostly the stuff about making messes. I wonder if my mother feels the same way about me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i just asked ellison if she read my post for today.

    "i started to read it and it just kept saying to be nicer to you and stuff. but it was really long so i didn't finish it."

    "it was about YOU. how did you not finish it?"

    "does it get any better at the end?"

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey cheryl-
    damon remembers you, too. he said you were somebody he hung out with a lot freshman year. thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love that elli thinks you're being facetious, but i know you're totally serious. it was fun to read this post. should we expect a follow up from elli on her blog about how she is doing with her resolutions this year?

    ReplyDelete
  11. #3. I love #3. I am "stealing" it for my NYR list.

    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ha ha, did she ever finish reading it? because the last one is my fav... well my fav other than the funny ones. It made me happy cry. It's amazing how being a mother makes you capable of a whole different level of love!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love this post. so much to tell and teach our children, but, often they are not ready to hear it. or read it.

    and i happen to remember ellison's mom when she was 12 3/4: the apple doesn't fall far...she's a lucky girl 'cause i bet she'll grow up to be just like her mom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. sarah...glad someone jumped in here to comment about Amy at that age so it didn't have to be me or my mom making that judgment.

    Also, Amy, fair is fair and I think you ought to give Elli a free post on your blog about HER NYRs for YOU. Would be fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  15. matt- made me laugh. lauren told me a few months ago that elli and holly were like 2 peas in a pod: both a little too comfortable in holly's pigsty of a room.

    mom- i love you back1

    amanda- no comment?

    sarah and staci- i know, i know. but my mom didn't have a blog for me to refer to either. believe it or not, i am actualy learning as a parent from my teenage years. staci- good thing elli doesn't read my blog anymore; she'd probably take you up on your offer. and i'm afraid of the things that she'd say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. To combine her love of American Girl and modeling - the Star Guild is holding its Annual "American Girl Fashion Show" again. You can email farrellkh@verizon.net and an application will be emailed to you. Deadline is Jan 10th. Otherwise, they have opening for volunteers too work the event too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amy, I don't like to over-comment...or rub things in. Thanks, Sarah and Staci for satisfying my curiosity on the subject.

    ReplyDelete

yes, please.