Saturday, June 13, 2009

i know better….

but i still buy them.

do you ever buy something that you don’t really want to buy, but you think your kids will really love it and so you buy it anyway-against your better judgment?

i have gotten wiser over the years and this is usually a test i give myself when i go christmas shopping:  of course my kids will love it, but is it really something i want in my house; is it a toy/gift I will love?  if not, i have learned to pass.  my kids won’t know the difference anyway. 

but this time, when i saw those stupid otter pops, i had a lapse in judgment and bought them.  these were my justifications:

  • they’re super cheap; i don’t mind supplying the entire neighborhood with these summer treats
  • they don’t have to all be stored in the freezer at once
  • i haven’t bought them in years
  • my kids are older now; they won’t be as messy

but otter pops still drive me crazy- for the same reasons they drove me crazy the last time i bought them and swore them off.   they are SO MESSY!  you’d think my 12, 10, 7, 5, and 4-year-old would be responsible enough to put the wrapper in the garbage.  you’d think those same responsible-aged children would also be capable of putting the 1-inch snipped off tip of the otter pop in the garbage.  you might also think that these great and wonderful children of mine would remember to FINISH the otter pop before they set it down on the counter or the floor and had it melt all over the place. 

if you think these things, you’re as guilty as me.  i have come to the conclusion, once again, that my children are irresponsible.  i cannot step a foot into my kitchen or backyard or front porch or even girls’ bedroom without finding these beauties littering the ground:

2009 06 166

and these annoyingly sticky puddles all over every surface of my house:

2009 06 167 2009 06 163

and yet, i bought them again when i was at costco yesterday. 

2009 06 161    

damon’s gonna kill me.

8 comments:

  1. i get sucked into doing things like that with my kids, too. i always think that it can't be as bad as i think it is going to be. but there's nothing worse than walking through a sticky spot on the floor or putting your elbow in a sticky spot on the counter. i definitely feel your pain - i haven't even figured out how to get my husband to put things in the garbage let alone the children. do they at least have any new must-try flavors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the exact same problems with Otter Pops, but bought them on my last trip to Costco--against my better judgement. Same justifications you used. My almost three-yea-old is actually the best at throwing wrappers away, but also notorious for leaving puddles of half-eaten pops on the kitchen table. Froot-by-the-Foot is also another treat with which I have a love-hate relationship. My kids love them and I hate them. I'm sure glad that box is empty! Still got a ways to go on the Otter Pops.

    oppersub - troublesome

    Those Otter Pops are oppersub.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, I love them! Even id they are messy. But, I don't have a house full of kids with them in hand. I haven't yet introduced Logan to them. I'm sure it will be sometime this summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. guilty as charged! I find them in all the hiding places and I find them eating them when they go to the bathroom because they know that we are all very private around here when we all gots to pee. So I am with you on this one! It is a hate/Love situation and one I just can not give up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to say i think my kids added to your otter pop mess today. Aubrie and Whitney both had large melted spots on their dresses which means I'm sure some "juice" hit your floor. I bought them last week too. Still haven't froze any yet. Nolan saw them in my garage and asked for one. I told him none were frozen yet. He said,"that's ok I'll drink it!" I think that may be the root of one of your otter pop problems!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to say not even 18-year olds can manage to throw the empty wrapper in the trash can....but luckily they are past the age to leave any juice in the package before they drop the wrapper within a few inches of where they finished it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't stand those things. For the same reasons. Also they don't taste good to me. I would much rather spend more and have a cold treat in the freezer the I like. Kids or not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. its jill and u dont have to worry about me eating any. i HATE otter pops! they are gross and sticky and taste like fake popsicles! GROSS!!! i will stick to ice creamm

    ReplyDelete

yes, please.