Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Grandma Nevada’s got some ‘splainin to do….

much to our delight, the box man stopped at our house today.  nolan was the lucky one to answer the door and the even luckier one to actually have the package addressed to him (and ray). 

he was disappointed before he’d even opened the package because he “knew it wasn’t Legos.  it’s probably just clothes.”    so with his heart in the right place, he continued to stick it out while i wrestled the tape off the package. 

when he opened it, he was actually excited at its contents:  matching outfits for him and ray.   after he asked if he could wear them right now, he quickly stripped down and put the cool new outfit on.  as he was getting dressed, i explained to him the significance of the outfits:

2009 06 230 2009 06 237

  • it was from Grandma Nevada (my mom)
  • she loves to buy things for the grandkids with the number 33 on it because it was grandpa ray’s uniform number when he played football at USU. 
  • she bought these same outfits for baby asher and luke, too.

2009 06 246 

after he had the shirt and shorts on, he asked, “Does Grandma Nevada go to church?”

“yes, why?”

“then how come she bought me something that’s immodest?  am i allowed to wear this?”

2009 06 256

i told him he could definitely wear it for today.  i would have to think about it and decide if it was something he needed to wear a shirt under  like i would have the girls do. 

sure enough, the first thing emma said when she saw him wearing his new duds was, “hey- why doesn’t he have to wear a Shade shirt underneath that tank top?”

and i don’t have an answer for her.  i know girls are different than boys, but should there be a double standard as far as tank tops go?

2009 06 247

either way, thanks mom for the adorable outfits.  the boys love them.

Technorati Tags: ,

6 comments:

  1. hey - i'm going to go check my mail right now. very cute outfits. totally funny story. nolan is such a thinker. he is always coming up with something thought-provoking to say. i'll check the shade headquarters and see if a male undershirt line is in the works =).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think boys are different. The outfits are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do boy have to wear a top when they go swimming? Of course boys are different! But then, a t-shirt under it wouldn't hurt either. It's not like they're going to be sweatin' it up on the basketball court. Are they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i had a hard time with this growing up. I wore tank tops all the time. But then when I realized that I made the decision to go to the temple and get married some day... well I stopped wearing tank tops. Or at least wore a shirt under it. It was hard to train myself to go back to being modest. I wore really shhort shorts too in high school. I think the standard should be the same for boys and girls if it doesn't fit in the right spots, don't wear it. YAY Emma for being so qucik to ask well that is just my opinion though. My kids occassionall get risky things from people and I let them wear it once and then dress it up a bit or get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just grateful I don't have to answer that question. (yet)

    Yes, boys are different, but there should still be a certain level of modesty for them.

    ReplyDelete

yes, please.