I am not sure when I hit this point in my life, but the highlight of my weekends is the fact that I don’t have to make 5 lunches in the morning. for some reason, I really see it as an accomplishment each day after I’ve gotten all the lunches thought-through (no easy task with everyone’s annoying likes/dislikes), organized, and into kids’ backpacks. I especially look forward to that time on Thursday night when I wrap up Friday’s lunches, knowing that I am “off” for a couple of days. I may have just leapt for joy just a tiny bit.
I used to be wholly opposed to completing lunches the night before because I am one who despises sogginess. I can hardly fathom even making sandwiches hours before lunch, let alone an entire day. gross. but it has come down to simplicity for me. and maybe the fact that I don’t really care anymore if my kids’ sandwiches are soggy. whatever.
one would think that after years and years (and years) of making lunches, that I would have it down-pat; that it wouldn’t be something I dreaded so much. but nearly every monday morning, I still find myself staring blankly into my pantry or fridge, trying to figure out a lunch plan. sometimes I even forget the “formula’': something protein, something fruit(y), something crunchy, something fun, something extra (just in case). I am so thrilled with myself when I remember on sunday afternoon to start planning and get that part of my monday morning taken care of.
most days, it seems I count the weeks down in the school year based on how many lunches I have left to make.
nolan has a pretty special field trip tomorrow and, for some reason I feel like field trips deserve special lunches. I remember as a kid actually going shopping at Revco the night before a field trip and buying the “giant” individual-sized bags of cheetohs and cookies and cans of pop (that I would wrap in tin foil to keep cold) for my lunch. it was such a treat! I don’t go to those lengths for field trips for my kids, but I usually ask them if there’s anything special or specific they want in their lunch.
Nolan requested a pancake sandwich, which is a personal favorite of his. it was created out of a desire to use up leftover pancakes from breakfast- and maybe a lack of actual bread- one day. it’s truly just a sandwich made out of chocolate chip pancakes and peanut butter and nutella (and banana slices, if we have them). because it’s usually something I make to use up old pancakes, it seemed dumb to make pancakes tonight just so he could have a sandwich made out of pancakes.
but since it was a “field trip lunch”, I made the extra effort and made pancakes tonight just for his sandwich tomorrow.
as I was wrapping up each kids’ lunch, it got me thinking about the mind-bender task it is to make lunches for 4 different children. it’s certainly not just making 4 lunches.
let’s start with Elli (right) and Emma’s (left) lunches:
Elli:
- doesn’t like protein
- often brings her lunch container home mostly full
- doesn’t really like anything
- I never get it right
- when I do get it right, I repeat over and over until she hates it
- in this lunch, I have half a pancake sandwich, sliced apples, cubed cheddar cheese (her current “love” that she’ll suddenly despise next week, red jello, and leftover pizookie from something I was doing a trial run on). I’ll also include pirate’s booty and a protein bar for after school/before track
- loves jello (which I recently found out has 2 grams of protein per serving! yay! (shhh. don’t tell her), fresh fruit, bagels, caesar salad, madsen’s toddler fruit pouches (that cost $1 each)
- hates peanut butter, lunch meat, yogurt, wheat bread, nuts, anything that’s my idea
- is my hardest to please
Emma:
- really should be doing all gluten-free, but it’s so hard to keep that up
- loves pastrami, string cheese, jello (not green!), bagels (no cream cheese!), hummus
- hates cream cheese, yogurt, salads, vegetables, raisins, cheddar cheese
- in this lunch, I have a pastrami sandwich on a bagel, orange jello (doesn’t like green), pizookie, pirates booty
- usually eats everything I put in her lunch, even if she didn’t love it
Nolan (right) and Ray’s (left) lunches:
Nolan:
- is pretty easy to please, thankfully
- often pays me specific compliments for things I put in his lunch
- loves pancake sandwiches, jello (hopefully blue), sweets, gogurts, bananas inside sandwiches, applesauce, uncrustables, cereal, danimals, cheezits, flavor-blasted goldfish, blueberries
- hates oranges, chewy bagels, a specific flavor of juice box that I keep putting in his lunch
- in this specific lunch, I put a pancake sandwich, chobani yogurt tube, blue jello, pizookie, pirates booty, applesauce
Ray:
- recently got braces and is going through a soft foods phase
- sometimes eats everything I send, other days comes home with more than half his lunch because “he didn’t have time” to eat it
- would be happy with an uncrustable every day or maybe 3 or 4
- in this specific lunch, I put a pancake sandwich, peeled, sliced apples, cheese cubes, pizookie, green jello, pirates booty
- loves danimals, cheese, peanut butter on a spoon, regular goldfish, green apples, smoothies, protein bars
- doesn’t love: yogurt, cereal, bread-y things
jell-o seems to be the least common denominator
my jell-o shelf in my fridge right now:
come monday, this jell-o shelf will be completely empty
and everybody’s loves/hates will be different.
I can’t keep up. only 12 more weeks left of making lunches.
you are a champ! I laughed because I have a lunch formula, too. it's not nearly as cool as yours, but it works. a main thing (sandwich, crackers, & cheese, etc.) + a side (chips, granola bar, etc.) + something fresh from the fridge (fruit or veggie, cheese) + treat + drink. L is definitely my picky-comes-home-with-a-full-lunch eater. mostly she just begs me to come eat school lunch with her everyday. also, my kids hate jello. and most of the other stuff you pack in your kids' lunches. haha. we're totally counting down the days until summer. hang in there, mama.
ReplyDeleteYou are awesome. Jared and Eric work in the cafeteria for free lunch at school, but last week when Eric had to bring a lunch for a field trip, I was out of bread and everything else important for lunches. Thank goodness this was Eric because I said, "How about some chips and hummus?" He said, "OK!" My other boys would have had a meltdown.
ReplyDeleteDo you make those Jell-O cups yourself?
I'm kicking it up a notch and replying to comments! so proud of myself. haha
ReplyDeleteBrooke (or Lucy)- how in the world do none of your children like Jell-O? you live in the Jell-O capitol of the world (how do you spell capitol in this instance?)
Sarah- yes, I make my own Jell-O cups (used to buy Jell-O in bulk at cash-n-carry, but then they changed brands to some gross off-brand) using portion cups from cash-n-carry. they are the best because they're pre-portioned and it's relatively cheap and simple.
This is so incredible, for many reasons. First, that you pack a lunch for all of your kids. I have one that refuses to eat school lunch. The rest prefer it. Probably because I don't go to such elaborate lengths in this area! Second, that you make that many flavors of jello every week. Third, that the jello doesn't melt by the time they get to school. Fourth, That you have such cute lunch containers (bento box?). I must know more about these containers. Fell free to fill me in.
ReplyDeleteha. I think Ray would actually prefer to eat lunch at school most of the time, but the others think it's a waste of their time to wait in the lunch line. the boxes are actually just $2 Ziploc containers I bought at Target. I LOVE them. they are the perfect size. The boys use these cool Pack It lunchbox coolers that are the perfect size for these Ziploc containers. http://www.amazon.com/PackIt-Freezable-Lunch-Adjustable-Strap/dp/B00BVYUA6S/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1395724409&sr=8-16&keywords=lunch+box
Deleteit's all I can do to get my older girls to even bring a container that they have to bring back home so I don't bother sending them in a cooler/lunchbox, but since we aren't fighting 100-degree temps, their food is generally fine. :)
Thanks for the info! And just to be clear, are you saying you can send jello with your girls and it does not melt by lunchtime? It doesn't seem like room temp is enough to keep it solid. I am so intrigued by this.
Deletethe jello doesn't melt. I usually add about a cup less water than the you're supposed to add because I like the flavor a little stronger and I like the jello a little more set. so maybe this helps it? try it out!
Delete