Tuesday, March 18, 2014

finally…dolphins

The highlight of our Cozumel stop was definitely getting to swim with the dolphins.  You had to be at least 8 years old to do the experience we chose so I hung out with Madsen on the beach while Damon got in the water with the older kids and the dolphins.  I’m not a huge fan of water (or animals) so I was totally fine to “miss out” on this experience.  There wasn’t really a close-up place to watch them and you’re not allowed to take your own pictures so that’s the only thing I felt bad about missing. 

From all accounts, it was pretty awesome.  The 2 dolphins’ names were Audrey and DaVinci.  Each of them got to kiss the dolphin, swim between 2 dolphins holding onto their fins (the dolphin pull), and get pushed up out of the water by the dolphin’s nose coming up under their feet in the water (the dolphin push).  I think the pictures are pretty awesome.

DSC_7557DSC_7563

I had no idea that I would be paying hundreds of dollars to get some awesome photos of Ray’s bedhead.  haha.DSC_7580DSC_7583DSC_7601DSC_7604

Elli and Emma are masters of the selfie, dolphin or no dolphin.  almost every single one of their photos was absolutely perfect.  DSC_7607DSC_7617DSC_7621DSC_7696DSC_7700DSC_7708

the dolphin pull:
DSC_7715DSC_7721DSC_7724DSC_7731DSC_7544DSC_7739

the dolphin push:
DSC_7743DSC_7745DSC_7749

please note: Emma claimed to have gotten the most upright of everyone, but complained that the angle of her photos didn’t represent how great she looked. DSC_7767DSC_7768DSC_7780DSC_7782

Ray’s are simply the best.  Of course he was a natural.
DSC_7772DSC_7775DSC_7777

Damon’s not exactly a natural, but his photos may be better than Ray’s.  The kids all got a kick out of how determined his face was.  Damon says this is “business face”.  it’s hard work getting pushed out of the water by a dolphin…when you’re 40. 
DSC_7794DSC_7797

after all the kids were done with their dolphin experience, they were begging me to find a way for Madsen to get to pet the dolphin.  For an extra $30-something dollars, Madsen was able to get in the water in a one-on-one session and have the time of his life.  The price was only supposed to include either a kiss or a handshake and one picture, but he was loving it so much, the trainer just let him experience it, and the photographer added all of his pictures to our family CD . The fact that Madsen was willing to get in the water and interact with these potentially scary animals blew me away.  He didn’t even hesitate.  He would ask several more times throughout our trip to “go on the dolphin ride again”. 
DSC_0377DSC_0380DSC_0414DSC_0394DSC_0382DSC_0409(Madsen being kissed by Marina)

I mean really.  how cute is he?  totally worth the $275 I paid for these photos. 

1 comment:

  1. these photos are so great! I would be happy hanging out on the sidelines with you instead of in the water with the dolphins ;). I just hope you aren't setting yourself up to have really lame vacations for the next few years because nothing can compare to swimming with the dolphins. I would be so apprehensive about paying that much money to let someone else take my photos ... because my standard of photos is so different apparently from what other people have. every time I have someone take a family photo for me, I hate it. i'm so much better taking a selfie family photo. haha.

    ReplyDelete

yes, please.